This lighthouse was established in 1866. The lighthouse is about 60' high and has a cast iron tower on top. The tower is 11' high. It warns ships of the longest rock reef in North America. The lighthouse has 4 floor with 3 flights of stairs curving up to reach the little tower room at the top. A year after they built the lighthouse they built a cottage. The lighthouse was remodelled in 1875.
Much of the information herein is from the Historic Places - check out their website and an old photo of the lighthouse and cottage: http://historicplaces.ca/en/rep-reg/place-lieu.aspx?id=11477&pid=1501&h=Northcape
Above: view up the north coastline along the Gulf of St. Lawrence looking away from the lighthouse. Note the wind turbines of the Atlantic Wind Test Site.