Here's a history of the site...
The Dunk River was once a mighty Island Waterway. Maps indicate a mill on the river as early as 1798. Scales Pond is the largest artificial millpond on the Dunk River. The dam was erected in 1843. Several mills operated in the area; a sawmill, a grist mill, a shingle mill and a carding mill. In the 1920s, the pond was purchased by a gentleman named Joseph Monaghan. He created the Hydro-electric plant which was later bought by Austin Scales. Electricity from this plant provided power to 700 families until the 1960s. The Scales Hydro Plant located on the premises was de-commissioned in 1976. It will be upgraded and eventually used as a fully functional teaching museum.
The International Children’s Memorial Place was incorporated in 1999. Bill and Myra MacLean’s son, Trevor, died in 1995. Understanding the healing power of nature, Bill set out to transform a former provincial park into a place where parents and families who have lost a child can visit and reflect on their loss.The site is over 12 acres in size and is located in the center of PEI. Historically the area has been known for its beauty, hydro power generation, fishing and canoeing/kayaking. In its entirety the site is comprised of a 26 acre pond, dam, fish ladder, and a very serene walking trail which parallels the Dunk River.
The following is a history of the house and property taken from a display plaque outside the house...
Roger's HouseIn 1841, George Miller Wright operated the saw, grist and carding mills on the banks of the Dunk river. When in 1867, he died of pneumonia at only 46 years of age, his wife sold the property to David and Martha Rogers.
David Rogers called their new home "Kentlith Lodge" after his former home in South Wales.
Besides being a blacksmith, farmer and mill owner, Rogers was captain of the Reserve Militia. He was a strong temperanace Man and an ardent Methodist. He was also Justice of the Peace for Freetown and District.
In 1908, after David Rogers death, John and Bertram Stetson bought the house, land and buildings. John farmed the property with his wife Eva (Leckie) Davison and her three children: Vivian, Earith and Clarence.
On April 19, 1947 their son Clarence Davison (15 years) and Ivan Taylor (19 years) son of Ernest and Winnie Taylor tragically drown in the mill pond.
This century old house holds many stories and has seen many changes over the years. It is presently the home to our office, gift shp and the Healing Resource Center of the International Children's Memorial Place.
Below are my photos from around the house.