Saturday, May 2, 2015

Old Barn burns in Knutsford

     The following article appeared on the Guardian newspaper's website:
Faulty lightbulb causes Knutsford barn fire
Published April 30, 2015 - Eric McCarthy/ Journal-Pioneer 
KNUTSFORD — A faulty light bulb is the likely cause of a fire that destroyed a barn in Knutsford Thursday afternoon, O’Leary Fire Chief Blair Perry reported.
The call to the property of Ralph and Sherren Sweet went in to the O’Leary department shortly after 2 p.m. and Perry said they immediately called in West Point and Alberton Fire Departments for back-up and to assist with a water shuttle.
By late afternoon Perry called in a hi-mack to rip steel from the roof of the structure so that firefighters could get at the smouldering bales of hay and straw.
The machine didn’t have far to travel, as the barn fire is located directly behind Matthews Lime Spreading’s heavy machinery yard. The owner of that property had moved some of his machinery out of harm’s way shortly after the barn went ablaze.
Fire damage was confined to the barn. Perry said it contained hay and straw but no equipment or livestock. 

1 comment: