Friday, February 20, 2015

Over 100 barns blow down in 1930 Winter Storm

     The following comes from, 150 Years of Prince Edward Island Weather: Some weather we're having! 2015 PEI Weather Trivia Calendar by Don Jardine and Adam French with David Weale, and the Climate Research Lab at the University of Prince Edward Island.
     February 16, 1930: "A terrific gale, reported as the worst hitting this area in many years, blew down over 100 barns in Kings County.  Winds hit a maximum of 65 km/h at Charlottetown and 37 cm of snow fell.  Two young sons of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Noade of Launching Place narrowly escaped death when they were feeding cattle in the barn and the barn collapsed.  Large pieces of the barn roof were found on Boughton Bay and shingles were found on Boughton Island, three kilometers away."  
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
     It's always nice to have an image with a story - since we don't have one from 1930, here's an old barn at the Stetson's on the O'Leary Rd. in Union (between O'Leary Corner and O'Leary) destroyed by a wind storm in the fall of 2009.

1 comment:

  1. My goodness! This was my grandparents and uncles and my dad’s family. They came over from Belfast Ireland and my dad was born in PEI in 1929. My son has just come back from a lovely vacation down east last week as we live up here in Ontario. He was looking up what we all grew up calling the area my dad lived, as ‘Noade’s Corner’. But
    we never heard this story about the storm! My son just sent me this article and I thank you all for printing it!
    Su McSweeney Noade

    ReplyDelete