Wednesday, January 26, 2011

St. James Anglican Church, Porthill

As I was leaving Porthill I met the Rector-in-Charge, Rev. Andrew Mortimer - he was just arriving.  I commented that I had never been inside the "new" St. James Church - here's a few photos.  I was told recently that the ceiling at St. James as built like the hull of a ship - this would make sense, as you can see, the Parish was the home church of James Yeo, well-known ship builder who lived nearby.
This church opened for service on September 20, 1885.  Parishioners were honoured with the visit of the Archbishop of Cantebury on June 11, 1939.
 
 Beautiful woodwork and detailing.
 South side stained glass window.

 Looking westward to the rear of the church.

2 comments:

  1. What a treasure to have a well maintained original feature like that ceiling. keep the pictures coming! Makes me not miss the Island so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful church! My great grandfather was the Rev. Henry Harper who served in this church for many years and is buried in the cemetery.

    ReplyDelete