Saturday, October 8, 2011

CIHB - Joe Kinch Homestead, Lauretta

I don't have the info card that goes with this property, however, I have it noted as being built in 1874.  The documenation of this property took place in 1974.  Often when asked, "how old is your house?" - one would respond, "a hundred years old".   So, I'd say the house might be a bit later than that.

Below:  the north side of the house facing Centerline Road in Lauretta - across the road was my grandparents (Louis & Annie Jane Jeffery) homestead.
Below:  the west side of the house.  My brothers and I used to explore this house when we were children.
 Below:  the south view of the house, facing the farmyard and fields.
 Below: the east side of the house.
Below: my grandparents homestead, across the road from here.

I was in communication with Lucy (McLellan) Kinch in 2009 - she came across the Journals of Eva Jeffery (of Lauretta) which I transcribed and had posted on the Island Registry website: http://www.islandregister.com/jefferyjournal3.html 
Lucy sent me an email on Feb. 18, 2009, "having my coffee now - that is some Journal and all about our people!  Who ever thought Eva would have a journal like that!"  Lucy and her husband Earl Kinch lived in the Joe Kinch house for a few years following their marriage - they moved to Walpole, Mass., USA in the late 1930's.  Lucy died in Walpole on September 10, 2011 at the age of 95.  

No comments:

Post a Comment